Sunday, November 15, 2009

An Unexpected Roadtrip

Friday evening, I received a text from my best friend informing me he was in Tennessee.  Naturally I inquired as to the reason for this almost visit and he explained that he was participating in a fencing competition in Knoxville.  Knoxville not being terribly far from Nashville, I decided to make the trip and watch him compete on Saturday (as of now, still today).

The fencing was great, and the team is a wonderful collection of eccentric and fascinating people.  I got to do some fun photography, and hopefully some of those turn out well.  I also learned the rules of foil, epee, and saber fencing styles.  I can honestly say that on Friday afternoon I did not expect to be in Knoxville studying the intricacies of fencing.

Normally for a trip such as this, I would either demand mixes from friends or compose one myself to cultivate a proper driving mood, but this situation was too short notice for such niceties.  I did listen to some very good albums though, and I will list them for your enjoyment.  I highly recommend at least some of these.  Seriously.

Indigo Girls "Rites of Passage"
The Winter Sounds "Church of the Haunted South" also "Porcelain Empire"
Jimmy Eat World "Bleed American"

I didn't make it through all of Jimmy Eat World before I arrived at my destination, but it's still a nice album.  The Indigo Girls have been a standard of mine since childhood since my dad loves their music.  Their music features lyrics and vocal harmonies that are definitely worth checking out.  The Winter Sounds are an indie rock group that I met back in high school and have been touring almost nonstop for years.  If you haven't heard them, seriously check them out.  Fantastic music.  Links!

http://www.thewintersounds.com/
http://www.indigogirls.com/open.html
http://www.jimmyeatworld.com/

So yeah, my listening was a little A.D.D. today.  But I just went with what I was feeling...

Favorite songs from these artists:
Galileo-Indigo Girls
O'Fear-Winter Sounds
Poor Sailors-Winter Sounds
Sweetness-Jimmy Eat World
The Middle-Jimmy Eat World

We'll see where my musical desires wander on the trip back tomorrow...
~B

No comments:

Post a Comment