Wednesday, February 24, 2010

6-String Narrative




A good friend of mine, Carson Murphy, just released his debut EP on iTunes. It consists of 6 instrumentals featuring acoustic guitar, and is aptly titled "6-String Narrative". It is worth checking out; he is a fantastic guitarist. Sometimes I just don't want to deal with lyrics, and today is one of those days. While the acoustic guitar is clearly the dominant instrument, I can't help but appreciate the sometimes subtle and sometimes firm contributions of the piano parts. The beauty of "6-String Narrative" is that, sans lyric, it lets you fill in just what the narrative is.

You can hear a song off the album here as well as some other nice tunes. Rain is the Carson Murphy original, although I encourage you to check out some of the other music. Rain features more piano than some of the other tracks, but this is not a bad thing. Personally I am a fan of the percussive sounds; the shaker, the soft beat, and the scraping guitar strings.

As for the narrative, this song sends me soaring over green hills just after a spring rain, laughing aloud with my new found ability to fly. Maybe there are big white puffy clouds in this sky with me, and that could be a rainbow over there. It doesn't really matter, because I am too pleased with the fact that the sky is blue and the grass is green and I am alive to care about the pot of gold. And then, maybe, over the next hill, I see someone I really like. And now it's time to come down from the sky, down from the clouds and the blue blue sky and take that person's hand and walk away, into the sunset. But this end to my flight does not sadden me either, because I have enjoyed it and it has brought me a new perspective, and besides, it's a damn good story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment